Be sure to check the Public Notices for Regional and National Information
Ocean planning meeting set for next monthAtlantic Bluefish 2013 and 2014 Final Catch Limits ApprovedNew Spiny Dogfish Exemption Areas East and West of Cape Cod Effective Date: June 1, 2013More Info Public Notices
Click links! Waking up with Wicked Tuna on the Morning Buzz, WHEB the Rock station (with podcasts) The Tuna Song
Public Notices for May, all Regions click here
It took me a while to decide how to most accurately describe the situation that has been visited upon the New England fishing communities that are and since colonial times have been dependent on the groundfish fisheries.
NILS STOLPE: The New England groundfish debacle (Part IV): Is cutting back harvest really the answer?
While it’s a fact that’s hardly ever acknowledged, the assumption in fisheries management is that if the population of a stock of fish isn’t at some arbitrary level, it’s because of too much fishing. Hence the term “overfished.” Hence the mandated knee jerk reaction of the fisheries managers to not enough fish; cut back on fishing. What of other factors? They don’t count. It’s all about fishing, because fishing is all that the managers can control; it’s their Maslow’s Hammer. When it comes to the oceans it seems as if it’s about all that the industry connected mega-foundations that support the anti-fishing ENGOs with hundreds of millions of dollars a year in “donations” are interested in controlling. Read the article here
In the Featured Writer column drop menu.
The latest from Dick Grachek Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Science Notes: Atlantic Discovery
CONQUEST OF THE OCEAN - Taking over the fishing regulations of a nation involves vanity and corruption -
Articles Posted by Date
Purchase this video here!
Use contact, pay via paypal!
Station Coos Bay, Ore.,
F/V Deesie Survives Sandy
Lost at Sea: The Man in the Tote
- Use this website to tell your story's, post your articles, voice your opinions, raise your issue's, and to interact with fishermen and industry members. We have the tool's to organize members by regions for those members to discuss their issues. We have the tools to implement the democratic process, regionally and nationally. This website is your tool for fixing all that is wrong, but if people leave the tool in the drawer, the ones that are fixing things up to suit themselves will fix it for them, not you.
BOEM’s proposed seismic surveys
Published on Jun 20, 2012 by Rossportsolidarityca Bjørnar Nicolaisen talks about "seismic shooting" and how this method of searching for oil and gas threatened to destroy the fishing industry of his hometown until Bernhardt and his comrades organised a campaign to stop the practice. Bjørnar states that co-existence between seismic surveys and a fishing industry is impossible. Bjørnar Nicolaisen is a fisherman who is the secretary of Norwegian fishermen's union Andøy Fiskarlag. http://bore-head007.newsvine.com/_news/2012/05/03/11525810-so-hey-have-you-heard-about-the-slaughter-that-lies-ahead-for-those-marine-mammals-weve-been-saving
N.M.F.S. Is Un-American!
NOAA, You can drop NMFS and change to NOAA Fisheries but you CANNOT change your history.
This is not Going Away
Just to Remind Dale, We Remember!
Catch Shares are THEFT
The Last Fishermen
The plan, proposed by the Bureau of Ocean and Energy Management last year, would open the Mid-Atlantic to seismic surveys, using sound blasts louder than a Read More »
When the BP oil spill occurred, reporters from all over the world set up camp in the areas which were most hit by the events. But Read More »
Center for Biological Diversity, Oceana Inc and Turtle Island Restoration Sue the NMFS/F+WS (us) AGAIN! Loggerhead’s at the brink of extinctio………The lawsuit said loggerheads were already being pushed to the brink of extinction and that the government had failed to comply with deadlines set under the Read More »
VENICE, Fla. — A 46-year-old man was medically evacuated by Coast Guard helicopter crewmembers after suffering from chest pains aboard a 48-foot fishing vessel, 100 miles west of here, Thursday. Read More »
Please let NOAA know how you feel about them expanding their power and sanctuaries. Its not all rainbows and unicorns!To provide public comment (must be received by March 1, 2013) There are three ways to provide public comment: 1. Attend a Public Scoping Meeting (see Read More »
Years ago fishermen complained they were too bulky. Too hot. Uncomfortable. And, many felt, not needed. But efforts are ongoing to convince fishermen that PFDs, or Read More »
StarKist, the parent company of StarKist Samoa, says as it celebrates 50 years of StarKist Samoa, it has a strong interest in continuing its commitment to the territory and Read More »
PROVIDENCE, R.I (AP)– The U.S. Senate has passed an amendment that would allow funds in next year’s federal budget to be used to aid fishermen in Read More »
Two years ago, Washington state lawmakers banned the sale of shark fins but grandfathered in fins bought before July 2011. Read more Read More »
“The Rhode Island Fishermen’s Alliance is dedicated to its mission of continuing to help create sustainable fisheries without putting licensed fishermen out of business.” Read the Read More »
Rep. Runyan Questions NOAA Administrator Lubchenco on Fisheries Issues
NOAA = Abuse and corruption
Rep. Don Young Questions NOAA Administrator Lubchenco
I'm not sure what you're asking me Sir.
Sen. Brown Exposes Report On NOAA’s Illicit Party Boat
DC Rally – Frank
Getting around is easy!
Hover your pointer on Fisherynation.com at any article, click, returns to the front page.
Hover your pointer over the photo gallery, and click to go to that article or link.
Click on a tag from the tag cloud.
Hover your pointer over "Featured' for regional drop menu.
Clicking "Featured" will show all featured articles from the photo gallery.
From the calendar, all articles posted on that date.
Don't be bashful! Comment!
TagsAlaska Alaska Department of Fish and Game Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Cape Wind catch-share-scam Catch Shares Coast Guard Commerce Department commercial fishermen commercial fishing Congress Conservation Law Foundation Deckboss department-of-commerce dysfunction of the law enforcement economic-disaster Environmental Defense Fund fishing-communities fishing industry gulf-of-maine-cod Gulf of Maine jane-lubchenco-grossly-failed-policies john bullard lobster lubchenco-s-job-killing-agenda magnuson-stevens-act Maine Department of Marine Resources management measures marine-science National Marine Fisheries Service National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration nefmc new-england-fishery-management-council New England groundfishery NMFS NOAA noaa-chief-jane-lubchenco northeast-groundfishery Northeast Seafood Coalition North Pacific Fishery Management Council Pew Pew Environment Group RIFA Weekly Update U.S. Commerce us-news
- Anonymous on Former National Marine Fisheries Service director Eric Schwabb is outta here! Headed to the National Aquarium
- Anonymous on Historic Agreement: EU, US, and Canada Sign ‘Galway Statement on Atlantic Ocean Cooperation’ today
- Matt white f.v. Lil Jack San Pedro california on Illegalities stoke California squid fishing war – Brail-fleet members allege Canadian-built purse seiners are grabbing all the catch
- - Moderator on New Brunswick lobster fisherman Alfred Rousselle, 32, remembered as a family man who always had a smile for others
- - Moderator on Former National Marine Fisheries Service director Eric Schwabb is outta here! Headed to the National Aquarium
- Ed Mullis on The most abhorrent occupation in the world? Dr Magnus Johnson,
- - Moderator on Do Iliamna Lake Seals Warrant an Endangered Species Listing? Video
- - Moderator on Why We Need to Put the Fish Back Into Fisheries – (We know, but you have not included the unregulated fishing community!)
- - Moderator on NEW YORK GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES $20 MILLION IN GRANTS TO SANDY-IMPACTED FISHING INDUSTRY
- william skrobacz on Wind Industry Should be Prosecuted for Fraud
- - Moderator on What BS! Regulators to fishermen: Don’t blame catch observers
- Dave Aripotch on What BS! Regulators to fishermen: Don’t blame catch observers
- - Moderator on Shoreline being searched for missing N.B. fishermen
- - Moderator on The most abhorrent occupation in the world? Dr Magnus Johnson,
- Dick Grachek on What BS! Regulators to fishermen: Don’t blame catch observers
- - Moderator on What BS! Regulators to fishermen: Don’t blame catch observers
- Ec Newell Man on MARACOOS – The Fishing site is currently under development – Avoid unwanted bycatch – Your feedback is encouraged!
- - Moderator on Fish fleeing for cooler waters spells trouble
- Ec Newell Man on Gov. gets deaf ear from White House on fisheries as Valerie Jarrett, a senior advisor to President Obama Dummies Up!
- fredrick keeney on ‘Wicked Tuna’ stars hit TV’s fast lane
Did You Know?Commercial fishing is the deadliest job in the United States, topped by the fishermen in the Northeast's multi-species groundfish (cod, haddock, etc.) and Atlantic-scallop fisheries. They are 37 times more likely to die on the job than a police officer.