Diesel stove likely cause of boat fire

IMG_8534-500x333A 32-foot commercial fishing boat caught fire early Monday morning (07-25-16) in ANB Harbor. The F/V American Express, a gillnetter, was tied up on the outer side of the transient float. Fire Chief Dave Miller says the department received a 911 call at 1:04 AM. “The boat was totally involved. Everything in flames. We responded to that scene with two of our engines, engine 1 and ladder 2, and about ten of our volunteers responded also,” says Miller. When they arrived, Miller says the boat’s crew and others were already at work putting the fire out with the hoses on the dock.  The American Express is owned by Bret Hanson and home ported in Bellingham, Washington. No one was aboard at the time of the blaze. Miller estimates the damages could total $100,000 or even more. Upon investigation, he believes the fire started as a result of a leaking diesel stove. Read the story here 08:50

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.