Tag Archives: Georges Bank cod

New England Fishermen face devastating cod cuts

cod-fishNew Bedford’s commercial fishing industry — battered by last month’s arrest of magnate Carlos Rafael on federal conspiracy charges, last week’s drug raids on the waterfront and ongoing monitoring costs — took another punch to the gut this week, as government regulators proposed new cuts to cod catches that could take effect May 1. “Those cuts will be devastating to the groundfishing fleet of New Bedford, and the whole New England coast,” said John Haran, manager of groundfish Sector 13. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), in conjunction with the New England Fishery Management Council, released a proposed update Monday to the federal management plan for the northeastern fishery. Read the rest here 20:45

COD: OFFICIALS SAY FISHERMEN, REGULATORS SHARE BLAME

130307_GT_ABO_BULLARD_1Back in July 2012, John Bullard was the newly minted Northeast regional director for the National Marine Fisheries Service. Soon after he took the reins, Bullard anguished over quota cuts of 77 percent for Gulf of Maine cod and 55 percent for Georges Bank cod, deemed necessary to rebuild those failing stocks. Read the rest here 09:41

NOAA – Effective Today Trip Limit Adjustment​s for Groundfish Common Pool Vessels

NOAA Fisheries today announced that effective immediately trip limits for Gulf of Maine cod, Georges Bank cod and Southern New England/Mid-Atlantic yellowtail flounder are increased for common pool vessels fishing under a Northeast multispecies day-at-sea. Also effective immediately, the trip limits for white hake and pollock are decreased for common pool vessels. Proportional trip limit adjustments also have been made for the Handgear B permit for Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank cod, as required by the regulations.  These measures remain in effect through the end of the current fishing year, which ends on April 30, 2013. Read the Bulletin here

Despite possible $100 million in aid, tough regs mean …Fishermen trying to stay afloat

Gloucester fisherman Paul Vitale’s job is on the line.

New England legislators are lobbying for $100 million to save next year’s groundfish fishery season in the wake of a disaster declaration, but that isn’t easing Vitale’s uncertainty about his industry’s future.

“There’s three households earning money off of my shoulders,” said Vitale, 40, captain of the 50-foot “Angela + Rose” and a father of three. “We never know day to day what’s happening.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061162384