Tag Archives: inshore harvesters

FISH-NL says FFAW no longer entitled to represent inshore harvesters; urges Labour Board to order immediate vote 

The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) says the province’s Labour Relations Board should proceed immediately to a vote of inshore harvesters to decide which union would best represent them. While FISH-NL’s application for certification remains before the Board, other factors necessitate a vote as soon as possible: the Supreme Court of NL, Court of Appeal, recently upheld an earlier court decision that the FFAW deceived its members; and the FFAW’s failure to reveal how much money oil companies pump into the union. “The FFAW is beyond salvation,” says Ryan Cleary, President of FISH-NL. “The FFAW no longer deserves the right to represent inshore harvesters, who have lost all faith and respect for their union. The only recourse is to allow them to vote on their future.” click here to read the press release 13:49

FISH-NL claims victory with DFO measures to help inshore harvesters 

The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) is pleased with recent measures announced by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to help mitigate the impact of declining quotas and strengthen enterprise viability. “This is most certainly a victory for inshore harvesters,” says Ryan Cleary, President of FISH-NL. “DFO is to be thanked for listening to the concerns of harvesters when their own union, the FFAW, has tuned them out.” For harvesters in fishing zone 3Ps off Newfoundland’s south coast, DFO announced late last week that its combining policy will be amended to permit 3 to 1 enterprise combining for all fleets. In addition, combined enterprises in the 3Ps under 40-foot fleet will be permitted to buddy up. Click here to read the press release 12:28

FISH-NL takes its message to Port de Grave

722xwvbqFISH-NL (Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador) is just about finished its provincial tour, with a scheduled late-afternoon meeting Wednesday in Torbay being the last stop for now. But a few hours before that, president Ryan Cleary and fellow FISH-NL executive Jason Sullivan met with a few harvesters at St. Luke’s Church Hall. Less than 10 people showed up, and Cleary said that wasn’t unexpected, given Port de Grave is among the ports where inshore harvesters still have it pretty good thanks to a strong crab fishery. “3L is a little different from anywhere else in the province,” Cleary told The Compass prior to the meeting. “It’s doing better because the crab is still good, because money is coming in and people are not suffering here like they are everywhere else.” Read the story here 17:12

Reverse shrimp quota cuts from last year: Paul Davis

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis says keeping the status quo for shrimp quotas is not enough. A new shrimp plan that is being proposed would eliminate quota reductions for one year. Those cuts saw inshore harvesters lose almost 30 per cent of their quota, compared to only five per cent for the big offshore fleets. Read the rest here 11:36

Federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea refuses to budge on inshore shrimp cuts

Federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea stood her ground Tuesday on controversial quota reductions that will cut most deeply among inshore fishermen, and admonished Newfoundland and Labrador for an unfulfilled promise to rationalize the processing sector. “We believe we are looking at plant closures. We are looking at harvesters who are getting maybe bankruptcies,” (Keith) Hutchings told reporters. Read more here 08:56