Safety switch could have saved this young Fisherman’s life from electrocution

7335432-3x4-340x453An inquest into the death of a man electrocuted on a Top End prawn trawler has heard a safety switch could have saved his life. Ryan Donoghue, 20, was using an angle grinder on the deck of Austral Fisheries’ Newfish 1 to cut rusted shackles when he was hit by a wave and electrocuted. Counsel assisting the Coroner, Kelvin Currie, told the inquest the grinder had been plugged into a socket without a safety switch, known as a residual current device (RCD). Newfish 1 was about 11 hours from the Arnhem Land coast when the accident occurred in November 2013. Read the rest here 09:11

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.