Tag Archives: F/V Sarah Anne

1 year after tragic sinking, St. Lawrence marks anniversary with memorials to those lost at sea

The heartache is still as fresh as it was one year ago for Kerri Lynn Kettle. Kettle lost her husband, Isaac Kettle, when the fishing vessel Sarah Anne sank off St. Lawrence in May 2020. Now, she’s raising two little boys on her own. “It’s been a living nightmare. We are slowly getting through it,” said Kettle. Three other men from the community lost their lives when the crab fishing vessel went down on May 25, 2020: skipper Eddie Joe Norman, 67; his son, Scott Norman, 35; and his nephew, Jody Norman, 42. What makes things even harder for Kerri Lynn Kettle is that her husband wasn’t even a commercial fisherman. Isaac Kettle, 33, had been working as a driller at a gold mine in Ontario.  >click to read< 21:32

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is investigating the incident involving F/V Sarah Anne

On its website, the TSB said the investigation will consist of three phases. First, investigators will examine the wreckage and site of the incident and collect any pertinent information. The investigation will be led by Shannon Pittman. The Sarah Anne and its crew left early on the morning of May 25 to fish crab but did not return.,, The bodies of Edward Norman, Scott Norman, Jody Norman, and Isaac Kettle have been recovered. It is known that the Sarah Anne didn’t have an emergency position-indicating radio beacon, or an EPIRB, on board. The vessel had a two-way radio instead, as regulations didn’t require it to have an EPIRB. >click to read< 18:40

‘It’s like a weight has been lifted’ – Family of Newfoundland Fisherman Isaac Kettle relieved his body was found

It wasn’t how they wanted to find him, but Isaac Kettle’s family is comforted in knowing that at least his body can finally come home. “This is the best, worst news we could get,” his wife, Kerri Lynn Kettle, said after hearing that a body found near Arnold’s Cove on the weekend is her husband’s. “But it was such a relief to know he’s finally coming home. It’s like a weight has been lifted.” Kettle, 33, was one of four St. Lawrence fishermen lost at sea aboard the Sarah Anne, a 36-foot fishing vessel, after it set out from their hometown to go crab fishing on May 25. >click to read< 09:00

RCMP confims identification of the body found on Placentia Bay beach as Fisherman Isaac Kettle

The body recovered from a beach in Placentia Bay over the weekend is that of Isaac Kettle, a crew member of the Sarah Anne, which was lost at sea late last month. The RCMP confirmed the identification late Monday afternoon. Lobster fishermen on Saturday found a body in the area of Doughboy Cove, east of Arnold’s Cove, according to police. Police said at the time they had been in communication with the family of Kettle, who was one of four crew members who did not return to St. Lawrence after heading out to fish crab on the morning of May 25. The bodies of Edward Norman, 67; his son, Scott Norman, 35; and his nephew, Jody Norman, 42, were recovered the following day. >click to read< 16:59

Family of Newfoundland fisherman Isaac Kettle fairly certain he has been found

It wasn’t how they wanted to find him, but Isaac Kettle’s family is comforted in knowing that at least his body can finally come home. “This is the best, worst news we could get…,” his wife Kerri Lynn Kettle said after hearing that a body found near Arnold’s Cove on the weekend is likely her husband’s. “But it was such a relief.” Kettle, 33, was one of four St. Lawrence fishermen lost at sea aboard the Sarah Anne, a 36-foot fishing vessel, after it set out from their hometown to go crab fishing on May 25.,,, Work is underway by police and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to identify the body, which was sent to St. John’s for examination.The RCMP contacted Kettle’s family, but no positive identification has yet been made. While they’re still waiting for confirmation, the family is certain Kettle has been found. >click to read< 11:01

Body found on Placentia Bay beach – RCMP in communication with family of missing fisherman

In a release, police said they were notified that lobster fishermen had found a body in the area of Doughboy Cove, east across the water from Arnold’s Cove. Clarenville RCMP and Forensic Identification Services travelled to the beach and secured the body and had it sent to St. John’s for examination after consulting with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. Police said they have been in communication with the family of Isaac Kettle, the lone crew member of the Sarah Anne who has not been found, but there has been no positive identification of the body. >click to read< 20:26

Tugboat, armed forces aircraft contributing to search for missing fisherman and F/V Sarah Anne

Several private companies and the Canadian Armed Forces have joined the search for a fishing vessel that went missing off the coast of St. Lawrence last week after the Canadian Coast Guard concluded its search Wednesday. R.J.G. Construction has partnered with marine surveying company Fugro GeoSurveys to find the Sarah Anne, as well as the lone missing crew member, Issac Kettle. For Andrew Perrot, the company’s vessel manager and a St. Lawrence native, the mission is personal. The company’s tugboat MV Keewatin is currently being outfitted with a winch and sonar and Perrot said he’s hoping to have it in the water and ready to go by Monday evening or Tuesday morning. >click to read< 18:17

Leaving as soon as possible – Oil supply ship to resume search for missing fishing boat off St. Lawrence

MHA Carol Anne Haley says the province has secured a vessel to continue the search for the Sarah Anne, a fishing vessel that went missing off the coast of St. Lawrence last week. Haley, the member for Burin-Grand Bank, said she and the premier have worked to engage the Paul A. Sacuta, a supply vessel for the offshore oil industry, to help continue the search for Issac Kettle. Kettle is the lone crew member of the Sarah Anne who has not been found. The Sarah Anne, along with it’s four crew members, did not return to St. Lawrence after leaving to fish crab Monday morning. >click to read< 16:34

Despite mother’s pleas, search efforts are over for missing St. Lawrence fisherman

After the deaths of three fishermen at sea, the southern Newfoundland town of St. Lawrence is in shock, while the mother of a missing fourth man is pleading with officials to continue a search for her son. The search for family friend Isaac Kettle ended 8:45 p.m. Wednesday night. But Kettle’s mother, Aundriette Kettle, said Thursday she wants extra equipment to find and raise the Sarah Anne from the ocean, as she believes her son’s body is still on the vessel. “Them other bodies were found, [but] my son is on that boat. He needs to be brought up, they [need] to get cameras, things like that, on that ocean to bring him up,” Kettle said. “Isaac needs to be home to us, his family.” >click to read< 14:32

Coast Guard Ends Search for Isaac Kettle, Missing St. Lawrence Fisherman

The Coast Guard officially wound down its search for the last victim of a boating tragedy in Placentia Bay last evening. Officials said after an intensive search spanning 650 nautical miles, they believe there will no longer be any reasonable chance of survival for the fourth crew member. Three bodies were recovered from the ocean off St. Lawrence on Tuesday. The incident has now been turned over to the RCMP as a missing persons case. The Coast Guard is thanking the many volunteers who joined the search effort, and they send their condolences to the loved ones of all four crew members aboard the Sarah Anne and the entire community of St. Lawrence. >click to read< 08:18