
Tag Archives: Canadian Coast Guard
Fishing tug sinks at Howdenvale dock
Another tugboat has sunk while tied up at a government dock on the Lake Huron side of the Bruce Peninsula, most recently earlier this month at Howdenvale. The Canadian Coast Guard said Friday in an emailed response to questions that it received a report on March 10 that “Keep the Change,” a 30-foot fishing tug, was sinking at the harbour and diesel was released into the water. The vessel owner and Chippewas of Nawash Fisheries Assessment Program staff deployed an absorbent boom and pads. The Coast Guard also deployed a containment boom around the vessel to limit the spread of pollution, the email said. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 10:40
NL MP Joanne Thompson named Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Coast Guard

Berth control: NL fish harvesters hope there’s room for everyone at Little Port amid cargo ship salvage
Some fish harvesters in the outer Bay of Islands are wondering how their livelihoods might be affected by the ongoing situation with the grounded cargo ship in Cedar Cove. The MSC Baltic III lost power and ran ashore in the cove, also known as Wild Cove, in the early morning hours of Feb. 15, 2025. For fish harvesters, Little Port is a crucial area. It’s where they base their fishing enterprises, including landing their catches and tying up when not at sea pursuing their respective quotas. John Gilbert of Humber Arm South is the skipper of a crew of five that catches crab, lobster and halibut. He is also a fleet representative for FFAW-Unifor, the union representing inshore fish harvesters and plant workers. He said harvesters have no real contingency plan if they can’t use Little Port. Photos, more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 09:10
‘Andrew went above and beyond’: Lucky Seven crew member thankful for Furey’s support
After enduring 52 hours in a life raft in the open ocean, the seven crew members were rescued and brought home to New-Wes-Valley, where a crowd of loved ones, including the premier, welcomed them home. “When I shook hands with Andrew in front of the fire hall in New-Wes-Valley, he said, ‘How are you feeling?’” Tiller recalled. “I said, ‘Jesus, I’m feeling perfect’ — he couldn’t believe it, that I was in all good spirits.” Since then, Furey has done far more than just staying in touch with the crew; Tiller said they’ve become good friends. When Tiller first heard the news of Furey’s resignation, he was shocked. Like many others, it was the last thing he expected. Photos, more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 10:55

Lost at Sea
When a group of seven fishermen went missing off the northeast coast of Newfoundland in July, the small community of New-Wes-Valley was gripped with dread. Coast Guard captain Colin Roul describes the waters around Newfoundland and Labrador as dangerous and unforgiving. “Usually, when you hear distress situations like this, where no sign or sound was heard from these guys, yeah, the outcome is bleak,” he said. As 24 hours turned to 36, then 48, not much hope remained. “We knew this was going to be a regional funeral,” said Michael Tiller, mayor of New-Wes-Valley, where five of the seven men were from. “The food was ready. The place was booked. We were ready to help this town go through one of the worst disasters that it could ever go through. “But then, news of the nearly impossible — the men were found in a raft about 270 kilometres from shore. Photos, more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 07:43
F/V Elite Navigator, 10 posts, >>CLICK TO READ<<
Salvage efforts remove fishing tug from Stokes Bay waters
The Coast Guard refloated the FV Gary M at the Stokes Bay dock for the second time in less than three months, but this time it was taken to Southampton and put on dry land. The fishing tug was lifted out on Nov. 26, as shown in a Coast Guard photo, and was placed on the government pier in Southampton, at the mouth of the Saugeen River. It was reported partly sunk Nov. 20 in Stokes Bay. It remained in Southampton Thursday. more, >>CLICK TO READ<<
TSB says harsh weather, lack of contingency plan contributed to fatal vessel sinking
A fatal fishing vessel incident near Canso, N.S., in 2022 was caused in part by severe weather conditions and a lack of contingency planning for towing disabled vessels, according to the Transportation Safety Board of Canada. The board on Thursday released its investigative report into the rescue operation of the F/V Mucktown Girl, which resulted in the death of one of the halibut boat’s crew members and injuries to two Canadian Coast Guard crew. The Mucktown Girl, a 15-metre vessel with five people on board, was around 160 kilometres southeast of Canso when it experienced electrical problems and lost power late in the night on March 11, 2022. The crew contacted the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax and the coast guard ship Jean Goodwill arrived the next morning. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 08:08
Safety board calls for changes two years after Nova Scotia fisherman’s death at sea
An investigation into how the Canadian Coast Guard responded to a Nova Scotia vessel in distress two years ago raises questions about why one fisherman died after a towing operation went awry. In an investigation report released Thursday, the Transportation Safety Board says the fishing boat F/V Mucktown Girl was returning to Canso, N.S., with five crew aboard on March 11, 2022, when it was disabled by electrical problems. The captain called for a tow from the coast guard as a storm was closing in. After a seven-hour voyage, the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Jean Goodwill reached the drifting boat and attached a 300-metre tow line to the smaller vessel’s bollard. But as the weather turned rough, the bollard broke off six hours into the recovery mission. At that point, the decision was made to let the fishing crew ride out the storm aboard the F/V Mucktown Girl rather than attach another tow line that could damage the boat. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 19:40

The fatal truth about commercial fishing
A note from the authors: Dear readers, we have wanted to cover this story for a long time. Given the fishing tragedies this province has endured, we acknowledge this is a difficult subject. This reporting honours those lost at sea, doing what they loved most: fishing. We recognize the collective grief of families, communities and the entire province. We hope this work illuminates what’s going wrong on the water and helps bring more fish harvesters home safely. Inshore harvesters dealing with trauma after incidents like the ones we describe can access PTSD coverage through workers’ compensation (WorkplaceNL). For anyone else, 811 can connect you with mental health supports in your community.
“My god, what are you doing to me?” says Brenda Gould, remembering the words she shouted into the sky that fateful day in 1989. The Port au Choix woman had just learned that her 22-year-old son Brendan, known as Ben, drowned while fishing off the coast of the Northern Peninsula. It wasn’t the first time tragedy knocked at Gould’s door. Eleven years earlier, in 1978, her husband Gabriel, 35, also drowned while fishing. Photos, Video, more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 17:41
Cleanup, investigation underway after fishing boat sinks at Stokes Bay
The Canadian Coast Guard confirmed Friday that a diesel spill is being cleaned up after the Coast Guard responded to a report of a fishing boat sinking at Stokes Bay dock on the Bruce Peninsula. Pollution containment equipment encircles the vessel, while crews are working to remove pollutants using specialized equipment, the Coast Guard said by email in response to Sun Times questions Friday afternoon. The vessel was reported sinking Thursday. “The size of the spill and plan for vessel recovery are yet to be determined. The CCG conducted a helicopter overflight for aerial pollution observation, and CCG personnel remain on location today to monitor the spill site.” more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 09:55
F/V Elite Navigator crew happy to be back on shore and plan to get back to sea as soon as they can
Toby Peddle, one of seven fishermen who spent more than two days drifting in a life-raft on the Atlantic Ocean, still can’t believe his good fortune. Peddle said he hoped to get back fishing that evening, whereas Jordan King said he’d give himself a week. “Plan to go back when I can,” he said. Carter said it would be a couple of days before he was ready to go again. “Then I’m good to go again. I don’t want the fish to get away, right?” he said. Carter says they were making supper Wednesday when an alarm went off and a fire was discovered in the engine room. “Toby grabbed the fire extinguisher, tried to extinguish it but as soon as we thought it’d gone out, then it pretty much jumped right back at us, twice as bad,” said Carter. The calls of “fire” rang out to wake everyone up, he said. Video, photos, more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 10:46

‘Nothing short of a miracle’: Missing N.L. fishing crew arrive home safely
The crew members’ safe arrival was emotional as family and friends tightly hugged the loved ones they thought they’d lost. Captain of the Elite Navigator, Eugene Carter, said the crew is happy to be home after spending almost three days in a life-raft following a fire on the ship that escalated quickly. “Within five minutes, we had seven men aboard a life-raft and there was fire around us everywhere,” Carter said. In the days that followed, Carter said the crew had to keep each other warm, there was limited water supply, and the raft kept drifting farther away from land. Nonetheless, they stayed in good spirits. “We were actually sitting around joking with each other, using the microphone, interviewing each other with the flashlight trying to keep our hopes and everything up,” he said. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 06:26
Missing N.L. fishing crew found safe, returning home
The crew of the Elite Navigator, the fishing vessel missing since Wednesday, has been found safe. The fishing vessel went missing off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, with the boat’s last known location about 300 kilometres northeast of Gander. Premier Andrew Furey posted to social media around 1 a.m. Saturday that search and rescue efforts had been a success. “Our entire province is so relieved to hear the crew members of the Elite Navigator have been found and are returning to safety to their families, who have been waiting so anxiously for this good news,” Furey posted. “Thank you to all the dedicated people involved in the search and rescue effort.” more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 06:57
UPDATE: Residents of New-Wes-Valley anxious for missing fishermen to be found safe, says mayor
A community on Newfoundland’s east coast is waiting for any news about a missing fishing vessel that is the focus of an intense search, says a mayor. The vessel, the 15-metre Elite Navigator, has not been heard from since Wednesday evening. New-Wes-Valley mayor Mike Tiller said the people of his community are worried and anxious for any updates, and hoping the vessel will be found. The missing vessel has a crew of seven. Five are from New-Wes-Valley, he said, one is from Centreville-Wareham-Trinity and another from the Gander Bay region. “They were out for a trip of turbot. I think they were due back in Valleyfield yesterday afternoon. And I guess when they didn’t show up of course that’s what set off the initial alarms,” said Tiller. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 13:41
Search Underway For Fishing Vessel Overdue off Northeast Coast
A search is continuing for a fishing vessel reported overdue off the northeast coast of Newfoundland yesterday. The last communication with the 56-foot Elite Navigator was around 11 p.m. Wednesday night, when they were en route to Valleyfield to offload their catch. The vessel was reported overdue Thursday afternoon, with heavy fog hampering search and rescue efforts in the area. More info as it becomes available. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 06:38
‘They were lucky’: 5 crew rescued from sinking mussel boat in Malpeque Harbour
The 45-foot vessel ran aground on a sandbar and started taking on water in rough seas just after 8 a.m. Monday, said Timothy Wall, a fisherman from the area. The New London Fire Company told CBC News there were five people aboard at the time. Wall said the boat was trying to bring a load of mussels in when it struck the sandbar. “When the boat went aground, everybody just kind of climbed on the side, then they had to climb on the roof,” he said. “It’s dangerous — it’s rocky and it’s windy and it’s cold.” “[The crew members] were lucky, but they did everything right. They put their life jackets on, they got up high on the vessel, they radioed out for help, the other boats came [and] we came along. The system works.” Video’s, photos. more, >>CLICK TO READ<< 12:14

F/V Cape Cordell: Fishing boat that ran aground near Fortune Harbour returns to dock
A fishing boat that had been grounded near Fortune on Newfoundland’s south coast is back in the water after a week of efforts to return it to safety. The ship, called the Cape Cordell, ran aground just outside Fortune Harbour last Wednesday as a blustery winter storm hit much of Newfoundland and Labrador. Blain Trainor, the Canadian Coast Guard’s acting deputy superintendent of hazard response, said crews successfully got the boat back to Fortune Harbour on Thursday morning. “The biggest challenge for us out here was the weather,” more, >>click to read<< 17:41
Fishing trawler stable after taking on water off southern Labrador
A large fishing trawler is stable but taking on water off of the southern coast of Labrador on Wednesday, according to the Canadian Coast Guard. The Northern Osprey III, a 260-foot factory freezer shrimp boat, made the distress call Sunday, according to Phil Walker of the coast guard. The boat is registered in Halifax but fishes between southern Labrador and Iqaluit. Thirty crew members are aboard the vessel, Walker said. more, >>click to read<< 14:16

Safety paramount for lobster season opening in southwestern N.S.
Opening day protocol for the two lobster fishing districts dictates that any winds above 26 knots will delay the scheduled season start of the lobster fishery. Last season, LFA 33 opened after a one-day delay, while dumping day in the LFA 34 opening was delayed by a week. “The decision on whether to advance or delay the opening date considers weather forecasts provided by Environment Canada and advice from the LFA advisory committees,” says Sankey. Opening day protocol for the two lobster fishing districts dictates that any winds above 26 knots will delay the scheduled season start of the lobster fishery. Last season, LFA 33 opened after a one-day delay, while dumping day in the LFA 34 opening was delayed by a week. Photo’s, >>click to read<< 12:27

Canadian Coast Guard ‘rolling the dice’ with offshore search and rescue coverage: SEA-NL
Seaward Enterprises Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (SEA-NL) says the Canadian Coast Guard is rolling the dice with maritime safety with only a single primary offshore search and rescue (SAR) vessel dedicated to covering the province’s entire offshore area. “In a maritime environment where every minute could be the difference between life and death in SAR incidents, there is no room for any compromise in response capabilities,” says Merv Wiseman, a member of SEA-NL’s executive, and outspoken advocate for stronger SAR services and fishing-vessel safety. “My question is not just why SAR standards have been lowered, but for how long and whether this is the new normal? >>click to read<< 15:56